UVa Library FACT SHEET
FACT SHEET - Mary and David Harrison Institute for American History, Literature, and Culture and the Albert and Shirley Small Special Collections Library
Jeanne Hammer, coordinator of Library capital projects, University Library, (434) 924-3246 / email@example.com
Donald C. Riggin, Jr., senior project manager at Facilities Management (434) 982-5912 / firstname.lastname@example.org
Melissa Cox Norris, director of communications and publications, University Library, (434) 924-4254 or email@example.com
Construction contract awarded to Beers-Skanska, Inc. of Richmond, Virginia
Asbestos removed from Miller Hall.
Contractor arrives and erects fence around construction site. Access to Alderman Library and from Alderman to Clemons will remain open. Access from Newcomb Hall to Clemons Library will be blocked. The existing walkway between the fence and Monroe Hall will link Newcomb Hall to McCormick Road, which leads to both Alderman and Clemons libraries.
Contractor readjusts and redirects utilities for Alderman and Clemons libraries.
Miller Hall demolished.
Excavate a 160'x180'x35' hole removing 40,000 cubic yards of dirt to accommodate the construction of the 72,700-square-foot facility, 80% of which will be underground. It will take over 4,000 dump trucks to remove the dirt.
Concrete foundation under-slab poured 3' thick.
December 2002-January 2004
Building substantially complete.
Fire Marshall inspection and granting of certificate of occupancy.
Take occupancy of building.
-- Miller Hall, named after wealthy Lynchburg merchant
Samuel Miller, was built in 1868 and served as the
-- The current Miller Hall was reconstructed in 1920 after a fire in 1917 that severely damaged the original building. It housed the biology department and included a second story not present in the original building.
-- After another renovation, it became the Peabody Annex and finally the Office of Admissions.
-- In a 1998 report on Miller Hall prepared for the University, architects write that the 1920 reconstructed building differs greatly from the original building. Later changes such as tile ceilings, vinyl flooring, and the installation of window air-conditioning units contributed further to the building's reconfiguration from its original form.
-- Because of numerous building code deficiencies such as 'dead-end' corridors, an open stair to the second level, only one exit, no sprinkler system, no elevator, etc. it was determined by University officials that it would not be practical nor economical to attempt to renovate Miller Hall.
-- For more on Miller Hall, read "Out with the Old, in with the New" by Jonathan Miller, Cavalier Daily Staff Writer
-- Construction noise and obstacles will be minimized during such times as graduation, exams, Parents Weekend, etc.
-- Six trees will be removed in the construction: 2 oaks in front of Miller Hall, 1 ash between Miller Hall and Alderman Library, and 3 ashes along Alderman's sidewalk.
The new facility will provide a comfortable and stimulating environment for the housing, showcasing, and researching of the University's world-renowned collection of rare books, manuscripts, and the University archives. The new facility will provide climate-controlled space for up to 70,000 linear feet of shelving, allowing for decades of growth and the elimination of crowding in Alderman Library. It will incorporate the evolving information technologies and provide space for research, teaching, and first-rate exhibits. The facility's architecture reflects the grace of Thomas Jefferson-designed buildings nearby and accents the dignity of Alderman Library.
Mary and David Harrison Institute for American History, Literature, and Culture
-- The spacious exhibition gallery on the entry level
will highlight select portions of the University's
world-renowned collection of rare books and manuscripts
around themes that will attract and interest students
and the general public.
-- In addition to the exhibition gallery, there will be a room devoted to archaeological discoveries at Flowerdew Hundred, a microcosm of Virginia history from before the Colonists through the Civil War.
-- The top level will house new seminar and private study rooms. These spaces provide vital meeting, conference, and research suites for University students, faculty, and visiting scholars.
Albert and Shirley Small Special Collections Library
-- Downstairs, a permanent exhibit room will house
documents related to the Declaration of Independence
and its signers, including one of 25 known remaining
copies of the famous Dunlap printing.
-- A new auditorium on this level will provide an essential multipurpose space to host conferences, sponsor University functions, or to host lectures by University and visiting scholars.
-- Also on this level, staff in the new Reference Room will assist researchers and retrieve rare books and manuscripts for use in the Main Reading Room. The Treasure Room will highlight the library's most valuable and prominent rare books and manuscripts and provide an opportunity for intimate viewing of these materials by small groups.
-- Vaulted ceilings and skylights will cap the Reference and Main Reading Room, creating an inspiring setting for study.
-- The bottom floor will house the University's distinguished collections of nearly 300,000 rare books and 12 million manuscripts, which chronicle the American experience and imagination from the discovery of the New World to modern times.
For more information, visit www.lib.virginia.edu/speccol/newlib/