A Guide to Resources for the Study of Select Cities
These pages have been created to support architecture and city planning studio classes in the University of Virginia School of Architecture. When complete, each city guide will list ways of accessing the following information, where available:
- Scanned maps of the city, including topographical maps, Sanborn maps, and miscellaneous historical maps
- GIS data for the city, including:
- planimetric data
- aerial photographs
- elevation data
- Statistical data on the city
- Images of buildings from the UVa Digital Library
- City plans, neighborhood plans, and other planning documents
Not all cities will have information available in all categories. Some of these resources are restricted to UVA faculty, students and staff only, but others are publicly accessible. Some resources cover the entire United States but include information at the city level; these resources can be found on their own page.
For additional support for particular classes, please see our class resources page.
These guides are a collaboration between Digital Research and Instructional Services and the Fiske Kimball Fine Arts Library. Please see the Fine Arts Library's list of architecture class guides for further information.